Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes,
Art is knowing which ones to keep

Monday, May 1, 2017

Painting Santa at the May Meeting

We will be painting a Santa light bulb at the May meeting.  I taught this about five years ago but you asked to do it again so we will.  You only need to bring your regular painting supplies.  A glue gun and hair dryer would be nice but I will have several on hand.  I will furnish the light bulb - donated by Margaret, Joan and several other members - I will also base coat it for convenience sake.  I don't normally use a pattern but I will have one for y'all.  I will demonstrate how I draw the face and how to varnish it with Triple Thick.  I will have a packet made for each of you, including the ribbon, the trim, instructions, and pattern.  I will send everyone a color photo by email for reference.  It would be nice if you printed out a copy.  I will also have several light bulbs already painted to pass around.  This is such an easy project - oh, we will also be painting a little rose on Santa's hat.  If you have an 1/8" angle or flat it will make the rose a lot easier.  This is going to be fun!  I have attached a few photos of the ones I have done in the past.  These are just to give you an idea of what you can paint.  The pattern for the face may be a bit different.  Don't panic and think you can't do this.  It is the basic floating of color mostly.  For those who want to know what size brush to bring, this is what I would suggest.

1/8 angle or flat brush
1/4- angle or flat brush
#4 filbert
#2 liner

You do not have to have these sizes but get as close to it as possible.  Tap on the photos to get a larger shot.


Last month Joan taught violets on canvas paper.  It turned out so pretty.  She was expecting a full class so she prepared packets for everyone but due to unforeseen circumstances we only had four attend.


I have asked her to bring the packets back to this months meeting as Sue and I would like a few extra and you will have the chance to purchase it also for the low price of only $1.00.  She also shared a grouping of eggs she had painted.  Aren't they pretty?



See y'all Saturday

No comments: